REPENT AMERICA CALLS FOR NATIONAL
"HATE CRIMES" PETITION DAY 5/10/07
PHILADELPHIA – On Tuesday, May 15, 2007, Repent America (RA) is calling Christians to participate in a national effort to flood Capitol Hill with telephone calls, e-mails, and faxes, urging members of the U.S. Senate to vote against any so-called “hate crimes” legislation, particularly S. 1105, which is expected to be voted on by the end of next week.
Earlier this month, the U.S. House of Representatives passed federal “hate crimes” bill H.R. 1592 by a vote of 237 to 180, which is now being considered along with the U.S. Senate version S. 1105. Rep. John Conyers, D.-Mich., is the House sponsor, and Sen. Edward Kennedy, D.-Mass., is the sponsor in the Senate.
"Those who hate God are working to criminalize those who love Him, and they are making great strides to see that it happens. We must not remain silent as our liberty to freely speak the Word of God and the Gospel of Jesus Christ is being threatened by those who are framing mischief by a law," stated Repent America director Michael Marcavage.
In October of 2004, eleven Christians with RA were arrested while attempting to evangelize during a taxpayer-funded celebration of homosexuality in Philadelphia. After spending 21 hours in jail, the eleven were charged under Pennsylvania’s hate crimes law, along with a host of other felony and misdemeanor charges. These charges were later dismissed, but if convicted, they would have faced up to 47 years in prison and $90,000 in fines each.
“On Tuesday, May 15, we are calling Christians all across America to come together in a unified effort to speak up and be heard on Capitol Hill,” Marcavage continued. “Together, as one loud voice, we must urge our lawmakers to vote against the legislation that seeks to silence us,” Marcavage said.
"Who will rise up for me against the evildoers? or who will stand up for me
against the workers of iniquity? … Shall the throne of iniquity have
fellowship with thee, which frameth mischief by a law?" (Psalm 94:16, 20)
5-STEP CALL TO ACTION FOR TUESDAY, MAY 15, 2007:
1. Pray for this extremely important petition effort. See, 2 Thessalonians 3:1
2. Telephone, e-mail, and fax as many members of the Senate as possible, asking them to vote NO on S. 1105 or any other so-called “hate crimes” legislation. Calls can be made toll-free by dialing the Capitol Hill switchboard at 1-877-851-6437, or click here for other contact information.
3. Call the White House at 202-456-1111 and ask the President to commit to vetoing S. 1105, as well as any other so-called “hate crimes” bill that reaches his desk for approval.
4. Immediately forward this information to as many people as possible.
5. Educate your family, friends, church members, and pastor on the dangers of so-called “hate crimes” laws and call them to action as well.
E-MAIL THIS PAGE TO A FRIEND NOW!